Parents; Do You Need Gift Ideas for Nannies?
We are often asked about gift-giving to nannies. What is appropriate? What is customary? When is gift-giving usually done?
Many variables must be taken into consideration (financial means of the employer-family, the years that the nanny has been with the family, how highly the family regards the nanny, and the occasion for which the gift is to be given, to name a few). Also, you should know your nanny well enough (her interests, hobbies, etc.) that you can give her a truly motivational gift . . . a gift that shows that you gave thought to her and who she really is when you selected her gift. That said, there are some gifts that are given frequently and are quite well received by most nannies.
- Cash bonuses ranging from several hundred dollars to several thousand dollars
- Gift certificates (perhaps to a nice restaurant, her favorite clothing store, etc.)
- Tickets to the theatre, opera, ballet, a concert, a sporting event, etc.
- Membership at a gym or club
- One or more days at a spa
- Paid vacations or paid trips home to the nanny’s community of origin
- Vacation use of the employer-family’s summer cottage, houseboat, or other vacation-oriented luxury items
- Cellular telephones, computers, DVD’s, or books
- Scrapbooking materials
- Designer purses
- Framed photographs of your children
- Gifts made by hand by your children
Gift-giving occasions may include Christmas and the nanny’s birthday and employment anniversary. Gifts may also be given in recognition of a nanny experiencing a major life event (i.e., engagement gifts and wedding gifts). Additionally, parting gifts may be given when a nanny is leaving employment with your family.
Giving a gift to your nanny is a wonderful way of expressing how much your nanny means to you and your children, how thankful you are that she has become a part of your family, and how much you look forward to her being a part of your family for years to come.
Do you have any great “Gift Giving Ideas”?